Saturday, February 11, 2012

One year

One year ago today, I cooked myself a bowl of oatmeal and decided to write about it.

Having just reread that last sentence, I must say I sound exceptionally boring.  Thank you for choosing to read these words despite that unpromising beginning.

A year ago, I was in a very different place than I am now.  A few weeks before I began writing this blog, I expected to be offered a job - one that I was extremely excited about.  When that offer fell through by mid-January, I was caught off-guard.  Suddenly I had no plans and no idea what to do next.  I had this vague idea that maybe someday I'd like to write about food, and eventually I decided that if I wanted to write about food, there was nothing stopping me from doing it now, especially since I had all this time free due to that pesky unemployment issue.  So I decided I'd start a blog, and begin to practice writing, and see where it went.

Fast forward to now.   For the last few months, I have been paid to write about food.  Granted, it's only a sentence or three at a time, and it makes up only a very limited portion of my income - but the fact remains that part of my job is to write about food.  Though I've had some time to get used to the idea, I still find that remarkable.

As to whether food writing is really where I want to be headed - I'm still making up my mind.  But I am so grateful for the opportunities I have had to learn, and to taste, and to share my learnings and tastings over the past year.  And I'm grateful to you, too, for taking part in it with me.

What's next in the year to come?  We'll have to wait and find out together.  Except, of course, for more oatmeal, because right now it's lunch time and apparently I'm still pretty boring.


Thanks, friends.

1 comment:

I need orange said...

I like oatmeal..... In fact, that sounds pretty good, right now!

Thanks for taking us along on the ride.

:-)